Monday, August 17, 2009

To Whom It Might Possibly Concern

August 17, 2009
Monday

Folks,

Having been unceremoniously dumped into a "fee-based" technical support system without my prior knowledge or consent--this after having been placed on hold several times by a customer service rep who plainly had no idea how to help me with my problems--my disappointment with the "___ _______ ___ Experience" is now complete.

Therefore please find enclosed your ___ kit returned, and at my expense, I might add. Henceforth I'll look elsewhere for a ___ service that is truly both affordable and easy to install and use.

It's too bad, really.

Initially I was excited about ___'s (finally!) offering a ___ service, especially since the monthly cost seemed reasonable and, unlike ___, I could look forward to the benefit of ___ without the annoyance of being locked into a yearlong contract. Additionally, as an ___ customer, I could try the _________ ___ service for two months free (per the original sign-up offer); I decided to send for the ___ kit.

Then it arrived-- my _____ ______ confirmation arrived a bit later--and my headaches began.

I was less than pleased to discover (as I own an earlier model _______without a ___ ____) I would have to go out and purchase a ___ or ______ ____ in order to make the hook-up work; I did so nevertheless, deciding with the help of a salesperson to purchase a ___. I followed the directions of the accompanying manual carefully, installed the ___ ____, hooked up the ___ kit (using the blue ___ _____), inserted the ___ set-up CD-ROM into the drive, and... the first screen of the ___ set-up wizard warned that the ___ could not be detected. Something was wrong.

I uninstalled everything and tried again; still no connection. Baffled, I called ___'s tech support hot-line seeking help. I spoke to a very nice customer support person who tried to walk me through a manual installation of the ___ so that the ___ system would recognize it; no success. Finally, this individual suggested that the _______ ____ might be easier for the ___ set-up system to detect.

Accordingly, I returned the ___ to the store from which I'd purchased it, exchanging it for Microsoft's _______ ____. I read the installation and set-up manual carefully, following its instructions with its CD-ROM. I hooked up the ___ again (this time using the red _______ _____), inserting the set-up CD-ROM again, aaaand.... once again the set-up wizard's first screen warned that the ____ could not be detected.

Something was wrong. Again.

Again, I backed out of everything, again I shut down my ________, unhooked the power cord from my ________, re-read the set-up manual(s), and re-installed the ____ (this time in a different available ____), replaced the cover of my ________, and attempted the set-up again.

Again, no luck.

Frustrated, I called ___'s tech support again, and once again I encountered an amiable support person who seemed baffled by my installation problems, suggesting I try this and that, to no avail. He placed me on hold to briefly assist another support person nearby; he came back, he asked me more questions, made more suggestions, and placed me on hold again.

He returned again, and hemmed and hawed, obviously uncertain of what to tell me; he asked me to hold again. I held. And held.

Next thing I knew I was listening to an automated voice "welcoming" me to ___'s "fee-based technical support service." This was the last straw.

So, here is your ___ back. Whatever benefits there may have been to using this thing are simply not worth the (considerable) aggravation of trying to set it up and get it going.

Late in the year last year, I ended my service with ___. By that time I'd experienced little glitches and inconveniences with that service just annoying enough to compel me to quit it when the contract finally ended. If absolutely nothing else, I did not want to be locked into another yearlong commitment.

Well. One thing I can say about their ___ that cannot be said about your ___: if you signal interest in their ___ service, they take the trouble to find out what sort of equipment you're using so they can then determine what kind of ___ ________ ___to send, and everything you'd need is included when it arrives, including a compatible ________ or ___ ____. You don't find yourself having to pony up even more cash (you may not have right now) to make it all work.

May I trust it's safe to assume I will NOT be charged for this vexing misadventure? I never made it to the trial period, after all, let alone past it.

Thank (almost said something else) You,

The Disgusted Miss M.

No comments: