Saturday, August 29, 2009

For Barbara; And Especially For Lynn

I am going to do three things very soon, as soon as I am able: I am going to purchase two books--Barbara Sher's It's Not Too Late If You Start Right Now and E. Lynn Harris's What Becomes of the Brokenhearted.

I loved these books--I don't think it's just the mood I'm in. I have just this week finished library copies of each and have decided both should be in my home, near my desk, somewhere close by. Even if they mostly only sit on a shelf, I'd feel better if they were always within easy reach for those times when I'm down, discouraged and unsure of myself and the validity of my dreams. Both in their way are inspiring reads, though I ended Lynn Harris's beautiful, deeply moving memoir with the sad awareness that, due to his sudden death last month (heart disease?), I'll never have the chance to meet or correspond with this wonderful man. I know he's gone and still I want to write to him right now, just to tell him how much his willingness to share his struggles as a black gay man trying to make his way in the world means to me.

Barbara Sher however is alive and presumably kicking at this writing, and at the close of It's Not Too Late included contact information and encouraged her readers to let her know if her words were helpful and in what ways. I have forever missed my opportunity with the generous and life-affirming Mr. Harris; I will try not to with the witty and wise Ms. Sher. Even if she is unable to reply, I would want to let her know that her book made me completely reconsider what I thought I understood about middle age and second life dreams.

The third thing is I am going to join that Neighborhood Writing Alliance group I've spent three years watching wistfully from a distance. It's free, my work hours have changed so there are at present no scheduling conflicts, they meet within walking distance of home, and the new workshop begins next month. Looks like I'm all out of excuses.

If I get to choose my first writing assignment, I know exactly what it will be. Maybe I'll call it Letter To Lynn.

If not... I'll write it anyway.

No comments: