Saturday, October 4, 2008

For Michael T

Hiya. Not sure how far I'll get with this letter since I'm typing during a quiet moment at the job but we shall see......

This is a birthday letter, which admittedly is not the same as a birthday gift, but is almost as good if you're, you know, flexible about it. :-) When precisely is your birthday, by the way? I haven't missed it, have I? (Say no, Mike. Lie if you have to.)

I'd like to get you an actual gift but I'm not sure what you'd like, and since you're not 9 anymore I don't want to wing it and just pick anything. Is there a DVD or two that you'd like to have, or perhaps some blank discs and labels? Email me--or call--and I'll see what I can do.

Ordinarily I'd be on my way home now since my schedule has changed due to the recent departure of another staffer (more about that when I see you, if you're interested in hearing). Now I work 9 to 1 on Saturdays, except that I let myself get talked into working all day today since we're short-staffed again. (We're always short-staffed here.)

I was thinking about you yesterday. That must have been what started me humming "Love Me Do" and "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" while I was shelving and straightening; thinking of Beatle songs always reminds me of you. I'm always reminded of when we were all kids and Joey and me were staying with your family back in the day. You were the British Invasion expert back then, and when you found out I liked the Beatles too took it upon yourself to educate me about all things Fab Four. You played all your records for me, taught me the lyrics. It meant so much.

No comments: